Car Insurance - What to do in case of an automobile accident.
We all buy car insurance to provide financial protection in the event of an accident. In order to maximize the efficiency with which a car insurance claim is processed and to help ensure that your protection is not compromised in any way, it is important to understand what to do and say if you are involved in an accident. Remember that when an accident happens, most people are upset and as a consequence, may not be thinking clearly. It's a good idea to keep a reminder card in your glove compartment along with the vehicle registration so that you have something to use as a checklist when you need it. Your car insurance agent should be able to provide you with a pre-printed, step-by-step set of instructions to keep in your car.
Call Dean Insurance of Bel Air MD to purchase Car Insurance at 410.838.3700
or for a car insurance quote click here!
To help your carinsurance agency, if you are involved in an accident, consider the following steps.
- Determine whether anyone is injured, render first aid and call 911 as appropriate.
- Write down the time, date and location of the accident.
- If possible, get names, phone numbers and addresses of any witnesses and passengers in all involved vehicles.
- List name, address and phone number of injured person(s).
- Make NO comment or statement about the car accident and do not admit in any way that you were at fault. This could compromise the defense being presented by your car insurance company.
- It is always a good idea to take pictures of the car accident to include the roadway or intersection where the car accident took place, the damaged areas of all vehicles involved, positions of vehicles in the roadway, debris on road, skid marks, and any other items that may have contributed to the incident. If there was a particular condition that contributed to the accident such as ice, snow, a pot hole or other obstruction, be sure to take several photos from various angles and directions.
- Draw a sketch of the scene. Again, most car insurance companies publish a pamphlet with pre-printed intersection diagrams so that you can diagram an accident while it is still fresh in your mind.
- Report the incident to your agent or car insurance company.
- Write a description within an hour of the accident for your car insurance company of what happened, for your car insurance adjuster, to avoid forgetting details later.
Call Dean Insurance of Bel Air MD to purchase Car Insurance at 410.838.3700 or for a car insurance quote click here!
We provide auto insurance quotes in Baltimore, Cecil County, Harford County and Southern PA!
In Harford County we service the following towns: Harford County, Aberdeen, Abingdon, APG, Baldwin, Bel Air, Belcamp, Benson,
Churchville, Darlington, Edgewood, Fallston, Forest Hill, Gunpowder, Havre de Grace, Jarrettsville, Joppa, Kingsville, Magnolia, Monkton,
Perryman, Pylesville, Street, Whiteford, Whitehall
Car Insurance - Automobile Accident page